Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are going to be available in Apple Retail Stores on the 25th of September, or at your door if you pre-ordered one.  If you’re like most iPhone owners, you’re probably planning to purchase a case.  I used to be part of a small percentage of users that did not purchase or want a case, but my opinion of cases has recently changed.

I bought my first iPhone seven years ago, an iPhone 3G, 16 GB White, and with it I bought a Power Support AirJacket.  It made my iPhone thicker, and that’s about it.  I would always appreciate how thin the iPhone was whenever I removed the AirJacket.  So I stopped using the case.

Often friends and customers would remark about my bravery for not using a case with my iPhone.  I didn’t need a case, as found out when I went to Cupertino for my Apple Certified Mac Technician training.  My training class was given an opportunity to experiment with the durability of various iPhones.  The iPhone was more resilient than I expected.  I’ve seen and repaired many broken Apple devices, so I know that the iPhone breaks, but I didn’t for my iPhone. 

With the protruding camera module of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s devices, it has been proposed that Apple manufactures a naked, robotic core (ATP Ep. 129 60:20) for user’s customize with the case of their choice.  So for the second time, I think I will get a case for my iPhone 6s, and it’s going to be the Apple silicone case.  (I have always used an Apple Smart Case for my iPad, and I like how it has performed.)



Ever since I saw the Otterbox for the first time, I was disturbed by such a big case, and I was not convinced that this type of case adds any more protection to the device inside than any other case.  Why would someone take such a beautiful device to put it into something so hideous.

When I was an Apple Genius, I saw many broken iPhones in the Otterbox and LifeProof cases; it’s size does not compensate for the false sense of protection the user has.  The Otterbox and LifeProof case warranties don’t offer protection either.  And these cases caused functionality issues with the devices inside (with the exception of the LifeProof Nüüd, the cases don’t comply with Apple’s MFi Program.



Practical Advice:

If you want a case for your iPhone, but you don’t want an Apple case, look at the Apple website or for the MFi logo.  Any case in the Apple Store, on the Apple website, or with an MFi logo has been extensively tested by Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment